The Neurosurgery department provides a global range of high-quality neurosurgical interventions for adults and children with a variety of subspecialisations, such as intracranial resection of tumours, pituitary surgery, functional neurosurgery, spinal and cerebrovascular surgery, and stereotactic radiosurgery. In its aim to provide integral patient care and focus on the scientific aspects, there is close multidisciplinary collaboration between the departments of Neurology, Medical Oncology, Radiotherapy, Radiology, Orthopaedics, Physical Medicine, and Rehabilitation.
The department is a recognised training department in the education of Neurosurgery.
The department’s research and education is conducted within the Neurosciences research cluster in the Medicine and Pharmacy Faculty at the VUB.
- As the head of department, you are charged with ensuring the daily management of the Neurosurgery department, in medical and paramedical terms, together with its organisation and administration. Respecting the general guidelines and the prerogatives of the governing bodies at the Brussels University Hospital, you exercise authority over the staff and those conducting a residency in your department.
- You work actively towards the future-proof organisation of your department. In doing so, you give attention to network expansion, among other things.
- As a recognised residency supervisor, you organise appropriate coaching, clinical training, and medical supervision of medical students and doctors-specialists doing a residency in your department.
- Using your knowledge and experience, you create a simulating research environment for staff members and assistants and ensure the development of the academic level.
- Due to your specialist field, you work closely with the different hospital departments. You encourage collaboration in clinical and scientific terms as well as in training.
- You ensure the appropriate and efficient organisation of your department, devote the required attention to people management, and create a stimulating work environment for your colleagues.
- You establish a management plan for your department to suit the general management vision and strategy at the hospital. You are responsible for realising the projects and budgetary objectives defined annually in this management plan.
The task includes the possibility of scientific research and education at the VUB, including a tenured academic staff (ZAP) appointment.
- You are a recognised physician-specialist in Neurosurgery and have considerable experience in your specialist field.
- You have the required academic and clinical titles and teaching qualities to assure its education. You are an active researcher in the field of Neurosurgery; a PhD is essential.
- You unequivocally satisfy the requirements to serve the role as residency master in Neurosurgery at the VUB.
- You demonstrate efficient organisational skills and good pedagogic, leadership, and management qualities. Additional management training is an advantage.
- Salary according to the scale and respecting relevant seniority
- Fringe benefits:
- Supplementary pension fund;
- Hospital insurance, including compensation in outpatient care at Brussels University Hospital;
- Guaranteed income insurance;
- Compensation of travel costs:
- Full repayment of public transport costs
- Bike allowance
- Kilometre allowance for cars
- Liability insurance
- Costs specifically related to the employer
- 20 legal holidays (pro rata based on holiday year)
- 13 additional days of holiday (pro rata calculated on the current year)
- 3 supplementary days (pro rata calculated on the current year)
- 10 legal bank holidays (-> replacement holiday for bank holidays occurring in the weekend = free to choose)
- 20 days of scientific holiday for attending study days, congresses, scientific work, etc. (pro rata calculated on the current year) - specifically for clinical academic career development;
- Reduced rates in the company restaurant;
- Access to car park and remote car parks;
- Ekivita card (ekivita.eu/uzbrussel);
- Attractiveness and end-of-year bonus;
- Brussels University Hospital works in partnership with the VUB and Erasmus University College Brussels to form the Brussels Health Campus. This campus, located between junction 9 of the Brussels Ring Road and Bois du Laerbeek, accommodates a childcare facility (complying with the system of the government agency Kind & Gezin), childcare in the holidays, a primary school, and a fitness centre.
Interested parties should submit their written application together with a detailed curriculum vitae before 30 June 2019 to:
Brussels University Hospital
Prof. Dr M. Noppen
- For further information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Dr J. Schots, Medical Director, tel. +32 (0)2 477 5501.
- Candidates are kindly requested to use the application form provided here.