The Brussels Interuniversity Genomics High Throughput core (BRIGHTcore, the VUB-ULB genomics platform), in collaboration with the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) and UZ Brussel, including its molecular platform AMPLiUZ and the Center for Medical Genetics (CMG) aims for excellence in genomics research and diagnostics. To expand its expertise BRIGHTcore is looking for a (gen)omics bioinformatician.
He/she will work within a dynamic multidisciplinary team with BRIGHTcore/CMG bioinformaticians and application specialists to support the researchers of the VUB and UZ Brussel responsible for genetic translational and fundamental research, with a focus on heritable genetics, oncology, oncohematology and microbiology. He/she will be responsible for the development and application of innovative (gen)omics data-analyses.
- Developing, evaluating, implementing and validating genomic data-analysis pipelines, algorithms and (annotation) tools for a variety of research and diagnostic projects.
- Coordinating and supervising massive parallel sequencing and array generation and analysis in close collaboration with BRIGHTcore and CMG colleagues.
- Writing high quality code.
- Initiating and maintaining contacts with internal and external partners in order to analyze and realize their bioinformatics needs.
- Delivering results to customers and providing additional explanation when
- Keeping a close eye on the bioinfomatic, biostatistic and biotech developments for a next generation sequencing (NGS) setting
- Initiating health care related bioinformatics research on the VUB-UZ Brussel Health campus.
- Supervising PhD and master students as well as researchers working with these technologies.
- Organizing regular seminars on bioinformatics for the VUB-UZ Brussel Health Campus.
- Supporting the bio-IT troubleshooting.
- Participates in (IB)2: the Interuniversity Institute of Bioinformatics in Brussels.
- A PhD in computational biology, genomics, biotechnology, bioengineering or similar
- A minimum of 4 years' experience in the field of bioinformatics
- Excellent knowledge of (gen)omics technology
- Experienced in computational bioinformatics and/or biostatistics within an NGS setting (data assemblage, analysis and annotation)
- Expertise in the computational aspects of genomics, transcriptomics and/or epigenomics
- Knowledge and experience with UNIX operating systems
- Knowledge of relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Experience with server administration is a plus
- Experience with machine learning is a plus
- Multi-tasking capacities
- Problem-solving skills
- Strong communicational skills (verbal and written)
- Insight in the needs and requests of fellow researchers to develop project-related tools
- Shows initiative, is able to work independently and initiates projects
- Positive attitude and a team-player
- Eager to learn and driven to contribute to innovative research and diagnostics
- Excellent command of spoken and written English, additional knowledge of Dutch is a plus.
What can we offer you?
- A permanent, full-time (38 hours) contract.
- Fringe benefits:
- Supplementary pension fund;
- Hospital insurance, including compensation in outpatient care at the UZ Brussel;
- Guaranteed income insurance;
- Compensation of travel costs:
- Full repayment of public transport costs
- Bike allowance
- Kilometre allowance for cars
- Reduced rates in the company restaurant;
- Access to the car park at the hospital and remote car parks at exit 9 (Jette) and the research park in Zellik;
- Ekivita card (more info: www.ekivita.eu/uzbrussel);
- 27 days of paid holiday;
- Attractiveness and end-of-year bonus;
- You are in an application area with lots of variation and the latest technologies;
- You receive substantively varied challenges, and you work independently in a great team;
- You work in a challenging hospital organisation where you have space for personal development and evolution;
UZ Brussel works in partnership with the VUB and Erasmus University College Brussels to form the Brussels Health Campus. This campus, located between junction 9 of the Brussels Ring Road and Bois du Laerbeek, accommodates a childcare facility (complying with the system of the government agency Kind & Gezin), childcare in the holidays, a primary school, and a fitness centre.
- Apply online using the apply button.
- If you have questions, please phone us on 02 801 24 27
Apply by clicking on the link below and submitting your resume, motivation letter, research summary and 2 references.